In which Rebecca experiences French bureaucracy, participates in a pub quiz and begins her French classes.
(I've been reading a book that M lent me called something like 'How to give yourself a classical education' - that's not the title... but it is something like that. The book gives some good tips on how to read different kinds of literature. Years ago, books and chapters always had very long a descriptive titles which, although they gave away what was going to happen, helped the reader better understand the text. I decided to try it out.)
Carte de Sejour
I was warned before coming that French bureaucracy can be frustrating. That you can wait for hours just to find out you needed a document from somewhere else first. This is true.
Last Thursday I woke up at 5:30am in order to get myself to the Nice administrative centre (which is way out by the airport) in order to get my Carte de Sejour. The building doesn't open until 9am, but because so many people go if you don't get there by 7:30am you won't be able to be seen that day. When I arrived a the centre, there was already about 20 people crowded around a small gate waiting to get in. This was just the outer gate - not the actual gate of the building. Now the document I had read online about how this works said to: be "Prepared for long line-ups" and to be "patient, polite and assertive". This was a huge understatement.
When the gate opened at 7:45am the race began. People immediately started pushing me from behind and the whole crowd broke into a run to be the first in line at the building. I almost knocked over an old man as I was pushed forward. I joined in running and actually managed to get a good spot in line! Then we had to wait another hour before we could get in the building.
When I finally did get in I was told that because I was here on a student visa I was in the wrong place - I actually had to go to another office downtown :P
The rest of the day was spent: going to office #2...waiting in line...finding out I was missing a document...going home to get it...going back...waiting in line again...discovering I was missing photocopies of my documents...getting copies made...going back again...waiting...waiting...FINALLY seeing someone and getting my paperwork done!
Pub Quiz
On Monday night the group of us went out for dinner at an Irish Pub in Vieux Nice. One of our group, E's boyfriend was visiting from England and was staying with some some guys from church so she had invited them along for a thank-you dinner. It was nice going out with other people - it felt like being at home! It feels really weird living somewhere and knowing only a handful of people.
The best thing about this pub is that every Monday night they have a pub quiz! We had tried to get in the past week but it was totally packed. It was a fun evening overall: ordering in English, having a Magners cider, being the only one who could answer the question about Brian Mulroney AND having my team come in 2nd winning 50 euro off our bill!
French Classes
Yesterday I began my first day of French classes. I have class every day at the Fac de Lettres from 9am to noon. I was happy to find out I was in the most advanced class :) There are 17 of us in the class - I'm the only Canadian as most of them come from China, with some from Japan and Russia. Quite a few students also seem to be women who have married Frenchmen and now need to improve their English.
I got to know a Japanese girl sitting beside me and she, I and a few others went out for lunch after class which was fun. I find it feels a bit strange to be speaking with international students in a third language. I'm used to being the ESL teacher who gets to speak in my own language while the other person is at a disadvantage. It is really nice now to all be at the same level - somehow it seems easier to have a friendship this way too.
Becca, I love that you got to answer a trivia question about Brian Mulroney! That's hilarious! I found that when random things happened like that it was a fun reminder of home - as much as hanging out with other expats is awesome, it's nice to have connections to being Canadian as well - no matter how obscure!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with classes!
I love the super descriptive chapter title idea. I may copy it on my own blog sometime.
ReplyDeleteRilo is meowing right now, which I assume means she's telling me to say hello to you.
I laughed as I pictured you pushing to get a good spot in line.
Hi Becca!
ReplyDeleteGood you answered the Mulroney question - I probably wouldn't have been able to & have been a total embarassment for a Canadian. :)
Are you going to go through the entire alphabet in your blog post titles?
The poor older gentleman, I wonder if he got in line at all? o_O
Navin & I are going to see Gibbins' new apartment in Flemingdon Park on Monday & eating at this local Afghani restaurant.
Miss you! I'm working at the office more, so you can always gimme a yell there. :D
You should post again! :D
ReplyDelete