Friday, November 6, 2009

Crème brûlée

I'm embarassed that it has been so long since I posted anything :P My resolution for November is to post more often...even if it means that the posts are really short... and maybe a bit boring.

Last week was school vacation! This meant that I got to sleep in a bit and do some different things with my day. On Thursday I met up with my new friend D who is taking French classes in the room next to me at the Fac de Lettres. We became friends initially based on the fact that neither of us can eat gluten. D is a very good cook and she spent an afternoon earlier this month trying to teach me how to cook too. Unfortunately, I don't have the motivation to do so on my own - I haven't made much of anything since then. Here is the cake we made when she was over - it tasted like Nutella cause we made it with chocolate and ground hazelnuts:



Whenever I hang out with D she brings me something yummy and wheat-free that she has baked - so really I don't have to bake so often myself. :) This Thursday I went to see her in Antibes which is about 20min away by train. We went to the Thursdays morning market and then went on a hike around the 'Cap' d'Antibes which took us a totally of 3.5 hours!

Although I haven't done much cooking I have started painting again! M has a bunch of watercolours left to her from a friend so she has invited me over to paint with her from time to time. I think it is fitting to paint in an area where so many famous painters has lived and painted: Rembrant, Picasso, Chagall, etc. I decided to paint one of my favourite things in France. Here it is:



On Friday, we organized a GBU day-trip to Italy! The closest Italian town in Ventimille - 45min on the train and Friday is their all-day market where they sell everything from jewlery to shoes. I bought myself a winter coat for 20 euro (super cheap!) and I had a cappuccino to say I've had one in Italy. It didn't taste any different from the ones in Nice.

Friday night my friend G came to visit. We're friends from University and she is living and working in Geneva now. We did lots of sightseeing in Nice and went for gelato at Finoccino's - one of the best gelato places in Vieux Nice! Here in France the word for ice cream and gelato is 'la glace' and not 'crème glacé' like at home. This must just be another difference between European French and Quebecois French. They also don't say 'fin de semaine' here - they say 'le weekend'. Finoccio's is a good place to have la glace because they have so many different flavours!



Desserts in Nice are pretty amazing. Here another dessert that I ate last week - probably the BEST crème brûlée ever:

2 comments:

  1. This post made me hungry for sugar.

    I think you'd better get some of D's recipes so you can bake me some cakes when you are back home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! It sounds like you are having fun Becca - I am very glad. Love the painting!

    ReplyDelete